Fennel and Leeks

Fennel and Leeks

Friday, January 28, 2011

Williams-Sonoma Baked Fish


Tonight's dinner menu was from a lovely Williams-Sonoma cookbook that I borrowed from Natalie. Truth is, I borrowed it about 5 months ago and I haven't cooked anything from it until tonight. Amazing how having a cooking blog motivates me to do things I've meant to do for months. I chose Baked Fish with Potatoes, Onions and Tomatoes for tonight's dinner entree. I initially planned to serve an herb mixed green salad with the dish but as I prepared it, I realized that this dish is a full meal in itself.

The recipe called for red new potatoes, olive oil, yellow onion, garlic oregano, plum tomatoes, dry white wine, ground cinnamon, white fish fillet, dried bread crumbs, freshly grated parmesan and flat leaf parsley. All in all, the recipe was good. Brad and I enjoyed the flavors but we agreed that there needed to be two changes; a bit more salt and thinner potato slices. As those of you that know me well already are already aware, I have a big problem with differentiating between right and left at the drop of a dime. Contrary to popular belief, turning left or right is not as easy as it seems. If you tell me to turn right, I may turn left. If you ask me which way to turn, I may get flustered and give you no directions at all or tell you to turn right instead of left. As many of my close friends and family have pointed out, it's an odd problem for a girl with a fairly high intelligence level. I keep telling you all that I looked into it and research shows that highly intelligent people often have problems with right and left differentiation. Some of you are laughing right now because you have heard it all before but may I remind you, laughing is the greatest form of flattery. :) Oh yes, this all was leading me to the fact that I have a problem measuring things by eye. This recipe called for 1/4" slices of potato and my slices were 1/2". This is why the potatoes were a bit more firm than the ideal.

To make a short story long, the recipe was good but there were a few things that would have made it better. We had a nice dinner and as I told Brad, I can't be too critical of myself because it's a far nicer dinner than I would have made under normal circumstances. This was an end to a fairly average week of cooking. Just wait until you see what I have up my sleeve next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment