Fennel and Leeks

Fennel and Leeks

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Next Iron Chef?

I just got a little cocky and ordered a tagine and a tagine cookbook from Sur La Table. This leads me to the conclusion that I may have been watching too many episodes of Iron Chef. I do love this show but have you ever watched it and realized that there is no way the chefs are just finding out about the secret ingredient when the chairman reveals it at the beginning of the show? It is humanly impossible for them to come up with such detailed menu ideas on the fly and then prepare them all within an hour. I believe we have been misled. I digress.....

Back to my tagine. What is a tagine, you may ask? According to good ol' Wikipedia:
The traditional tagine (or tajine) pot is formed entirely of a heavy clay, which is sometimes painted or glazed. It consists of two parts: a base unit that is flat and circular with low sides, and a large cone or dome-shaped cover that rests inside the base during cooking. The cover is so designed to promote the return of all condensation to the bottom.

For some reason, I have wanted a tagine for the past few years. They are traditionally used to cook Moroccan dishes and to be honest, I know close to nothing about Moroccan food other than the basic flavor profiles. See, I do watch too much Iron Chef! Who uses the term flavor profile for goodness sake? I more than likely saw a tagine in a kitchen store and decided that it was the answer to all of my cooking woes. Could it be? It should arrive next week and I will promptly put it to the test. The Next Iron Chef? Perhaps not but I will give it the old college try for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment