Fennel and Leeks

Fennel and Leeks

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

On To Week Two


I decided to get an early start for week two since the Ducks were playing in the BCS Championship on Monday night. The recipes I made last week pretty much made me look like a granola so I decided to go a bit of a different direction this week. Okay, I am a bit of a granola but I also like a good unhealthy dish once in a while. I'm sure we'll see a few of them over the next 51 weeks.

My Sunday night recipe was Fusili with Salmon and Roasted Garlic. This is a Giada recipe so I knew it would be good but this one was REALLY good. I like garlic but I usually have a slight aversion to cooking with much of it because it smells and tastes so strong. This recipe taught me the perfect solution; roasting garlic with olive oil in foil in the oven before you add it to a recipe. It is fabulous! It makes the garlic more mild and sweeter somehow. I bought my salmon at the West Seattle Farmer's Market from Loki Salmon Company. I usually buy king or coho salmon but I bought two fillets of regular pink salmon to try with this recipe and it was good. The recipe called for rotini or fusili (Olivia chose the fusili because it was curlier than the rotini which of course, is more fun :), garlic, olive oil, white wine, chicken stock, one pound salmon, lemon juice and zest, fresh rosemary and capers. I was going to buy rosemary at the store but realized that the rosemary in our garden is still available in the winter. I guess I never thought about rosemary being an evergreen.

I would make this recipe again any time. It is especially perfect for when we have people over for dinner because we can serve it in the middle of the table right in the skillet. The dish is quite large so it would easily serve 4 to 6 people. I served it with sauteed green beans which was the perfect side dish. Brad suggested that a fresh baked loaf of chewy bread would be a perfect accompaniment as well. A great meal to share with friends. Can't wait to cook it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment