Fennel and Leeks

Fennel and Leeks

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Watermelon Smoothie


Photo Courtesy of Brad Lovejoy

This is clearly not the most difficult recipe in the world but as many of you know, I am a big fan of smoothies. I happened to have a seedless watermelon that I needed to use prior to or during our weekend trip to Oregon so in typical Kiersten style, I googled. I have never heard of a smoothie made with watermelon so I was pleasantly surprised by the available options. Believe it or not, it was actually difficult to choose a recipe. I was drawn to this particular smoothie because not only does it include watermelon, it includes a few of my favorite flavors; almond and ginger. Watermelon, almond and ginger? Hmmmmm....... I really wasn't sure what to think but I went for it.

Ingredients: 2 cups seeded watermelon chunks
1 cup ice
1/2 cup plain lowfat yogurt
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp almond extract

Combine all ingredients in blender. Cover and blend until smooth and serve in two tall glasses.

This smoothie is absolutely delicious. The end result is thinner than the average smoothie but the flavor is refreshing and subtle. The ginger is not particularly discernable but the watermelon and almond flavors come through perfectly. It really comes across as a refreshing dessert so I would serve it as an afternoon snack or dessert way before I would serve it for breakfast. Both Brad and my stepmom, Janet, said that the flavor reminds them of a 50/50 which is 50% sherbet and 50% ice cream. None of us could believe that the ingredients are all natural, with the exception of one tablespoon sugar. In a nutshell, I recommend this recipe and I will serve it again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment