Fennel and Leeks

Fennel and Leeks

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Scallops, Grits and Greens


Photo Courtesy of Brad Lovejoy

I decided to approach preparation for this recipe in a different manner than usual. The recipe requires de-stemming, chopping, zesting and grating which can really slow a girl down. When I was reading through the recipe and thinking about the possible excessive prep time ahead of me, I had an epiphany. Why not prepare the ingredients in advance so all I have to do before dinnertime is combine ingredients and cook? This concept is not exactly brain surgery but it hadn't really occurred to me prior to now. Let me tell you, this idea is revolutionary! Cooking was even more enjoyable than usual with all of the ingredients ready and on hand. All I had to do was read and then grab ingredients from the counter as I moved through each step of the recipe. Steps are as follows.

Ingredients-
For greens:
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 bunch kale, stems removed, leaves chopped into bite-size pieces
1 bunch mustard greens, stems removed, leaves chopped into bite-size pieces
pinch of red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp honey
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup chicken or pork stock

For grits:
2 cups whole milk (I used skim milk and it worked great but polenta took 5 minutes longer to prepare)
2 cups chicken or pork stock
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup quick-cooking grits or polenta (I used Bob's Red Mill polenta)
1 cup (about 2 ounces) grated cheddar cheese
1 tsp orange zest

For scallops:
1 pound sea scallops
1 Tbsp ancho chile powder or chile powder of your choice
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 Tbsp high-heat vegetable oil (I used avocado oil)

To prepare greens, in a large pot over medium-high heat, add all of the greens ingredients. Stir well, cover and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, or until greens are tender. Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed. Keep warm.

To prepare grits, in a large saucepan over high heat, add milk, chicken stock and salt. Bring to boil and reduce heat to maintain simmer. Gradually whisk in grits. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir grits for 5 minutes, or until creamy and tender. Stir in cheddar and orange zest. Keep warm.

To prepare scallops, dry with paper towels. Place on plate and season with chile powder, salt and pepper. Heat heavy skillet over high heat. Add vegetable oil and, when it is really hot, carefully add scallops to pan, being careful not to splatter oil. Cook scallops for 2 minutes on one side, without disturbing, or until caramelized. Then flip, cooking other side for only a minute. To serve, scoop grits onto platter or plates. Top with greens and scallops.

For the first time since I started this project, Brad and I have differing opinions on the final result of a recipe. I loved the polenta and thought this dish was delicious. The greens were slightly bitter and the vinegar flavor was strong but I enjoy bitterness as a flavor profile. I am also a big fan of vinegar. Although Brad liked the dish well enough to finish his meal, he offered a few suggestions. First of all, he thought the flavor of the greens was too strong so he would omit the vinegar. I am wondering if the bitterness of the mustard greens also contributed to the strong flavor. Second, he would prefer the polenta without orange zest. We have finally come to the conclusion that citrus used in savory dishes does not appeal to his palate. He enjoyed the scallops and liked the idea of the dish; he would just prefer it with these few changes.

I am now certain that polenta is one of my favorite foods. The texture is divinely creamy without having to add cream or other heavy ingredients. It partners well with meats and seafoods but it can also stand by itself. To top it off, I love that it only takes 10 minutes to prepare. This will not be the last you see of polenta dishes during my cooking adventure. Stay tuned for more to come.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds fascinating! I would guess that the mustard greens are more bitter than the kale. If you swapped spinach (add towards the end of the kale cooking) or maybe finely diced or cuisinarted broccoli, that might sweeten up the greens to a more balanced flavor. Then you could keep the vinegar. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea, Megan. I have never used mustard greens and they are definitely more bitter than kale, chard, etc. Spinach would probably work best. I'll give it a try next time!

    ReplyDelete