Fennel and Leeks

Fennel and Leeks

Friday, July 29, 2011

Cherry Chocolate Cookies


Photo Courtesy of Brad Lovejoy

We are chocolate chip cookie monsters around here so it is quite a leap for me to choose a chocolate chip cookie recipe that incorporates dried cherries. Let's just say that our mantra for chocolate chip cookies is the more chocolate, the better; bells and whistles are not needed. The only additional ingredient I sometimes add is a good nut like walnuts or pecans.

Keeping with the theme of the week (using ingredients I already have at home), I searched the cupboard for semi-sweet chocolate and BINGO, I found a bar! The recipe calls for chocolate chips but this was nothing a chocolate bar and hammer couldn't handle. I happened to have a bag of dried tart cherries in the cupboard that we received as a gift so I decided to suck it up and give dried cherries a chance. As a side note, we are cherry fans at our house. We buy locally grown Rainier Cherries by the pounds so we are not strangers to this fruit in its purest form. See cookie recipe below:

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup milk
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup dried cherries
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars. Beat in egg, milk and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in remaining ingredients. Drop by tablespoonfuls, 2 inches apart, onto greased baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.

Am I a chocolate cherry cookie convert? Nope. This recipe is simple to prepare and it actually turned out some pretty good cookies but I am definitely not converted. I maintain that chocolate chip cookies don't need anything other than good dough, lots of chocolate and the occasional nut. I shared a plate with our neighbors and they were quite pleased, as was Brad, but I don't think I will make the recipe again. If I am going to indulge in cookies that include a whole stick of butter, I want them to be the best chocolaty cookies ever. I don't know if I prefer to have the world or really good chocolate chip cookies on a platter. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment