Fennel and Leeks

Fennel and Leeks

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Lemon-Scented Quinoa Salad


It was time to make a new quinoa dish and this recipe sounded fabulous the moment I found it on 101cookbooks.com. For me, the main point of interest in the recipe is the tahini. I have only cooked with tahini one time and I really enjoyed the flavor so I was excited to try it in a new way. I also tend to lean toward the freshness of lemon zest so this recipe was appealing all the way around. Quinoa is such a great platform for many different types of cuisine. I have prepared Southwestern , Greek and Moroccan inspired quinoa dishes and they have all been hearty and tasty. I love that quinoa is a superfood. If you have time, google the nutritional benefits of quinoa. You will be surprised that it can do so many good things for your body.


I am very pleased with this dish, as is Brad. He is my quinoa connoisseur so if it passes his test, it is a good dish. Here is the recipe for your enjoyment:


Ingredients:

1 cup quinoa

2 cups water

1 can garbanzo beans, or dried equivalent

1/2 red onion, chopped

1/2 cup cilantro, chopped


Tahini Dressing:

1 garlic clove, smashed and chopped

1/4 cup tahini

zest of one lemon

scant 1/4 cup lemon juice

2 Tbsp olive oil

2 Tbsp hot water

scant 1/2 tsp sea salt


Bring water and quinoa to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer until water is absorbed and quinoa fluffs up, about 15 minutes. Quinoa is done when you can see the curlique in each grain and there is a pop with each bite. Drain any excess water and set aside. While quinoa is cooking, make dressing. Whisk tahini, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice and olive oil. Add the hot water to thin and then add salt.


Toss the cooked quinoa, garbanzo beans, onion and cilantro with about half of dressing. Add more dressing and season with salt to taste. Serve with garnish of cilantro.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment