Fennel and Leeks

Fennel and Leeks

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Thank You, Bobby Flay!

Before I start writing about the first recipe I prepared this week, I want to talk about an incredible dinner I had in Vegas at The Mesa Grill. As I mentioned in one of my past entries, I am obsessed with all things Iron Chef. As a result, one of my main goals in Vegas was to go to an Iron Chef's restaurant for dinner. When Andrea and I were walking from Bellagio to Caesar's Palace, we passed by The Mesa Grill, which is fairly new in this location and immediately decided that this is the Iron Chef restaurant we would choose to celebrate Andrea's late birthday dinner.

We weren't able to get a reservation until 9:30 at night but if you have been to Vegas, you know that 9:30 p.m. is like mid morning there so all was well. From the moment we walked in and looked at the menu, we knew it was going to be special. I was already excited to try some of the oils and sauces that Bobby Flay whips up on Iron Chef. Upon looking at the menu, I immediately knew what I wanted to order. For my appetizer, I chose the Pan Seared Squid with New Mexico chile, watercress, toasted garlic and tangerine. I love a good calamari dish and this was way above and beyond anything I have eaten in the past. Andrea chose Goat Cheese Queso Fundido with blue corn strips as her appetizer. I couldn't take a taste because it contained heavy cream but by the look on her face, every bite was a treat. She kept saying "mmmmm" over and over so I will take that as an endorsement for the dish.

We ended up choosing the same entree; New Mexican Spiced Rub Pork Loin with bourbon ancho chile sauce and orange vinaigrette and Sweet Potato Tamale with crushed pecan butter. Holy cow was this a fantastic dish! It was aesthetically beautiful and I can't even begin to describe how delicious it tasted. I think Andrea and I ate half the meal with our eyes shut because we were savoring every bite. Andrea also enjoyed a 2009 Tablott Pinot Noir. I took a sip and it was the perfect choice to accompany the pork loin.

All in all, one of my favorite meals ever. Fantastic food with one of my very best friends. Bobby Flay did not disappoint.

1 comment:

  1. Looks good. Andrea did not tell me about this.

    Blessings
    Janet

    ReplyDelete