Fennel and Leeks

Fennel and Leeks

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Fishy Salmon Is Not My Friend

Let me just start out by saying that it is amazing how a fishy tasting piece of salmon can ruin a beautiful dish. In theory, Miso-Crusted Salmon should be delicious. It is made from beautiful ingredients including salmon, white miso paste, tahini and sugar. The dish was aesthetically pleasing for sure but the salmon was not up to par. To keep my blog light and airy, I will concentrate on the fennel salad. This salad was fresh, crunchy and easy on the palate. I would absolutely make it as a side dish for a summer meal. The recipe is listed below:

Fennel Salad

2 small fennel bulbs, thinly sliced
1 cucumber, shredded
1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
1 tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup cilantro leaves

Combine all ingredients and mix well.

This salad is easy to make although thinly slicing two fennel bulbs and shredding a cucumber by hand took a bit of time. Is there such thing as a cucumber shredding tool? Hmmm....I need to look into that. It's actually amazing how many kitchen tools are available for various kitchen tasks; especially if you live near a great cooking store like Sur La Table. When looking for kitchen tools, I try to purchase the ones that are more multi-purpose since my 50's kitchen does not have adequate storage. Our infamous and long awaited kitchen and mud room remodel has now turned into a kitchen, mud room, garage, master bedroom suite with bonus room remodel so my kitchen is probably a bit further away than I hoped. I guess this is what happens when you choose an architect with so many fantastic ideas. :)

Okay, back to cooking. I do believe that the Miso-Crusted Salmon would have been lovely had I used a piece of King Salmon from the Seattle Fish Market. I thought the Sockeye from Met Market would work for this recipe (it wasn't even very inexpensive!) but I was incorrect. Oh well, at least the fennel salad was good. I'll take whatever good I can get with this one. On to the next!

No comments:

Post a Comment