Fennel and Leeks

Fennel and Leeks

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Hummus Lightened Up

I am leaving for Vegas tomorrow so I had three days to make three recipes this week. If it was beginning to look like I was more highly motivated this week than usual, you now know the truth. So, for my third recipe, Brad requested that I make hummus before I leave for my trip. I feel like I may have made hummus years and years ago but I don't remember specifics. I have clear memory of making Baba Ganoush but my hummus memory is vague. The most important thing here is that I have never made this hummus so it is a new recipe to me.

This version of hummus gets two thumbs up. All you need is a food processor, can of chickpeas, garlic cloves, sea salt, pepper, lemon juice, water and olive oil. Then, add a bit of paprika and diced red bell pepper on top to make it look pretty. Serve with pita or crackers and you have the perfect snack or appetizer. We usually buy our hummus so the price of one can of chickpeas sure beats $5.29 for the hummus we regularly purchase. Speaking of hummus, I made an interesting variation as a Thanksgiving appetizer this year. The regular hummus I made today was good but I think the Thanksgiving hummus is the recipe that warrants mention here. Both hummus dishes are from the same cookbook so I don't feel like I am ripping off the regular hummus by not featuring it. Are you ready for this? This is going to sound strange but it was unique and really terrific.

Curry Pumpkin Hummus

1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp curry powder
1 1/2 tbsp honey
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 can unsweetened pumpkin puree
1 1/2 tsp finely minced fresh ginger
1 1/2 tsp sea salt
toasted pumpkin seed, optional

In a small nonstick frying pan over medium heat, warm the oil and swirl to coat pan. Add garlic and saute until beginning to soften, about 30 seconds. Add curry powder and saute, stirring constantly until fragrant, about 1 minute longer. Stir in honey, remove from heat, set aside.

In the work bowl of a food processor fitted with metal blade, process chickpeas until finely mashed. Add pumpkin puree, ginger, salt and garlic mixture. Process until hummus is smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning. Transfer to serving bowl. Cover and set aside for 1 hour to allow flavors to meld. Garnish with toasted pumpkin seeds if desired. Serve with pita chips, bagel chips or warm wedges of fresh pita.

If you are looking for an original appetizer to serve or take to a party, you will not be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment