Fennel and Leeks

Fennel and Leeks

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Zucchini Linguine


Photo Courtesy of Brad Lovejoy

Before I began my cooking project and my cookbook library rapidly expanded, I had two cookbooks that I went back to time and time again. Both books are by Donna Hay and they are fabulous. The recipes are easy to prepare, simple in ingredients but flavorful and sometimes even decadent. The photography is beautifully done and the layout is user friendly. For this recipe, I called on my old friend, "Off the Shelf; Cooking From the Pantry" by Donna Hay. The pasta chapter of the book offers a section called 'short order' which is a sampling of easy-to-cook recipes. I had just picked a red chili pepper and two zucchini from my garden so it was as if the Zucchini Linguine recipe had magically appeared, just for me. The recipe is as follows:

Ingredients:
14 ounces spaghetti or linguine (I used all natural Fresh Egg Linguine handmade locally by Cucina Fresca)
3 grated zucchini (I used 2 fairly large zucchini which worked great)
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 seeded red chillies (I used only one to keep the dish mild for Olivia)
2 cloves crushed garlic
cracked black pepper
sea salt
shaved parmesan

Cook linguine until al dente, then drain. Heat frying pan over high heat. Add olive oil, red chillies and garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add grated zucchini to pan and cook for 2 minutes. Toss through hot pasta and serve sprinkled with cracked black pepper, sea salt and shaved parmesan. Serve with lemon wedges.

This is a gorgeous dish for both the eyes and palate. I may sound like a broken record, but I highly recommend using a high quality pasta. It makes every difference in the final texture of the dish. I used a Raw Milk Reggiano Parmesan from Italy that I purchased at PCC Market. The cheese added the perfect amount of richness and nuttiness to the pasta. On a fun side note, I purchased a hand grater with a serrated edge today and I love it! All I had to do is repeatedly slide it down the zucchini to achieve thin zucchini strips. Finally, I prepared salad using vegetables from my garden. It was so fun to walk down the steps to the garden only to find plenty of chard, arugula, romaine and cherry tomatoes to prepare a salad for each of us. Aren't my vegetables pretty? I am so proud!

Photo Courtesy of Brad Lovejoy

Recipe Source:
"Off the Shelf; Cooking From the Pantry" by Donna Hay
Page 30

No comments:

Post a Comment