Fennel and Leeks

Fennel and Leeks

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Mango Avocado Salad


Photo Courtesy of Brad Lovejoy


After contemplating my mango avocado salad idea from last week, I decided to go with it. I did however, drop the addition of arugula when I realized I was forcing the issue. I sorted through several mango avocado salads on google and decided to choose a simple recipe that allows the ingredients to shine. I must say, I am quite pleased with my decision. This is possibly the perfect avacado mango salad.The sweetness of the mango was complimented perfectly by the creaminess of the avocado. The lime juice and balsamic provided a pleasing level of acidity which balanced beautifully against the bite of the red onion. I almost sound like I know what I'm talking about! :) This recipe uses simple ingredients that yield complex flavors. I recommend it as a summer side dish or as a lovely option for a light lunch. I actually ate most of the dish for lunch today. I offered to share but Brad and Olivia had just eaten lunch down at Alki Beach. I gave them a few bites, they approved and then I proceeded to finish it off. Please enjoy the recipe as much as I did.

P.S. Aren't the colors of mango, avocado and red onion beautiful together?

Ingredients:

1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp lime juice
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 mangos, cubed
2 avocados, cubed
1/2 small red onion, diced
salt and freshly ground black pepper

In a large serving bowl, whisk together vinegar, lime juice, salt and pepper to taste. Slowly whisk in oil. Toss in mangos, avocado and red onion to coat. Serve immediately. Serves 4.

Recipe source:
foodnetwork.com

No comments:

Post a Comment