Fennel and Leeks

Fennel and Leeks

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Coconut Almond Granola

Photo Courtesy of Brad Lovejoy

Granola has been on my recipe radar for a few months but I am just now getting around to it. I was planning on preparing my mom's granola recipe but I was sidetracked by beautiful fresh coconut that our family friend, Dulce, extracted over the weekend and left in our refrigerator. I have never eaten fresh coconut so I wasn't sure how to use it. Isn't it a gorgeous product?

Photo Courtesy of Brad Lovejoy

Dulce immediately mentioned that granola with fresh coconut is delicious so I decided to take her recommendation. In typical Kiersten style, I googled coconut granola and found this wonderful recipe that incorporates some of my favorite ingredients; honey, almonds, cinnamon and vanilla. I promise to make my mom's granola before the year is over (it is quite possibly the perfect granola) but I am giving this coconut version a whirl for now. One quick side note. I had all of the ingredients in my cupboards so I didn't have to buy a thing. I love it when that happens! Recipe follows:

Ingredients:
3 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1/2 cup crushed raw almonds
1/4 cup craisins or other dried fruit (I used raisins)
2-3 Tbsp sugar
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp Canola oil
5-6 Tbsp honey
1 tsp vanilla extract

Photo Courtesy of Brad Lovejoy

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Mix first seven ingredients together in large bowl. In small saucepan over medium-low heat, warm oil, honey and vanilla extract. Pour liquid over dry ingredients and mix well. Spread evenly across baking sheet and cook for 25 minutes, stirring a bit near halfway point. Depending on size of baking sheet, you may need to bake in two batches. If granola is crowded, it will not get crisp texture and golden color. Once granola is visibly browned, move into bowl and allow to cool. Place in container with airtight seal. Should keep for two weeks. Place in freezer after two weeks. Great with milk or over yogurt.

Okay, all I have to say is YUM!!! This is a terrific granola recipe and I am now officially wild about fresh coconut. I am quite particular about the sweetness level of granola and this recipe was not too sweet. I only used 2 tablespoons of sugar, which was on the lower end of what the recipe called for, but it was the perfect amount for me. I had a feeling that this amount of sugar would be plenty with 5 tablespoons of honey and the sweetness from the raisins. As the original author of this recipes notes, most granola recipes include a full cup of sugar and sometimes even butter. This recipe keeps things healthy by keeping the sugar content low and using only two tablespoons of Canola oil. If you are a person that appreciates good granola, I encourage you to try this recipe. I will undoubtedly be making this again.

As a side note, I used all organic ingredients with the exception of Quaker Oats. Also, if you have not yet tried Madagascar Pure Vanilla Extract by Simply Organic, I urge you to run out to the store to buy some. It provides a much deeper and intense vanilla flavor than run-of-the-mill vanilla extract.

Recipe Source:
mylittlecelebration.com

1 comment: