Fennel and Leeks

Fennel and Leeks

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Spicy Mexican Pork and Rice


Photo Courtesy of Brad Lovejoy

Today's entry is all rainbows, puppy dogs and kittens because this recipe took me back to what my cooking project is all about. I was standing in the kitchen, peeling, chopping and stirring; having a genuinely fulfilling experience. I was completely at ease and enjoying every second of the process. The last few weeks have been a bit uninspired so it was refreshing to get back to the core of my project today. Not only was cooking enjoyable, I could appreciate the fruits of my labor early on because the food smelled heavenly! There is nothing like walking through the house with the scent of food in the air as it slow-cooks in the oven. This recipe seemed particularly sumptuous, courtesy of the garlic and chipotle. I looked forward to tasting the recipe from the minute I began preparation.

Holy pig, this one was good! Okay, another really bad pun but I am who I am. That and I think my age is starting to show via the phrases and words that come tumbling out of my mouth. Being cool is no longer on my radar so I have completely given into the dorky side. I must say that embracing my inner dorkiness has been quite liberating and I think I will add it to my list of positives that come along with being 39. The list isn't exactly lengthy as of yet so any addition is more than welcome. My goodness, I am easily distracted. Once again, I need to get back to the task at hand. Are you starting to notice a pattern?

This dish was delicious and satisfying on several levels. Satisfying because it was a culinary accomplishment, because my family loved the food and appreciated my efforts, and because I personally enjoyed every bite. The pork was tender, the rice was cooked perfectly, the flavors melded beautifully and as you can see in the photo that my husband shot, the steaming plate of food was inviting. It just doesn't get any better than this in my kitchen. Please enjoy the recipe:

Ingredients:
2-pound boneless pork butt roast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
salt and ground black pepper
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 medium onions, minced
5 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 5 tsp)
1 Tbsp minced chipotle chile in adobo sauce
1 tsp minced fresh thyme leaves or 1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried oregano
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro leaves
3 scallions, sliced thin
1 Tbsp juice from fresh lime

Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 300 degrees. Pat pork dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add half of pork and brown on all sides, 7 to 10 minutes; transfer to large bowl. Repeat with remaining tablespoon oil and remaining pork; transfer to bowl.

Add onion to fat left in pot and cook over medium heat until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in garlic, chipotle, thyme and oregano and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in broth and tomato sauce, scraping any browned bits. Add browned pork with accumulated juice and bring to simmer. Cover, transfer pot to oven and cook until pork is very tender, 75 to 90 minutes. Remove pot from oven and increase oven temperature to 350 degrees. Defat braising liquid by letting liquid settle for 5 to 10 minutes then skimming fat away with ladle or wide spoon.

Bring defatted braising liquid to simmer and thoroughly stir in rice. Cover and continue to cook in oven until all rice is tender and liquid has been absorbed, 20 to 30 minutes, gently stirring rice from bottom of pot to top every 10 minutes. Stir in cilantro, scallions and lime juice and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and let stand 5 minutes before serving.

A truly beautiful meal that will satisfy your palate and your soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment