Fennel and Leeks

Fennel and Leeks

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Herbed Pumpkin Seed Mole (Mole Verde con Hierbas or Mole Pipian)


Photo Courtesy of Brad Lovejoy

I was on Upper Queen Anne this past Sunday night and came upon a "Quick & Easy Mexican Cooking" book. As I flipped through the pages, I saw several recipes that I wanted to add to my queue and this one was at the top of the list. I am always interested in recipes that include pumpkin seeds (also known as pepitas) because I enjoy using them in various applications. I have been known to add the seeds to salads, pastas and sandwiches just because they have a pleasant crunchy texture and mild flavor. I was also interested in this recipe because Brad loves burritos. When I don't have new ideas for dinner or all else fails, I know I can open a can of beans, heat tortillas, throw together burritos and I will have a happy husband. I have been however, trying to come up with different twists to keep the burritos interesting. This mole seemed as though it would fit the bill.

Ingredients:
1 cup peeled pumpkin seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 Tbsp vegetable or olive oil (I used organic Canola oil)
1 onion, cut into wedges
5 tomatillos, husked and halved
5 garlic cloves, halved
2 jalapeno peppers, sliced
2 cups chicken broth
1 packed cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
1 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup fresh epazote (optional)
1 tsp salt

In large skillet with high sides or in large saucepan, toast pumpkin seeds, cumin seeds and oregano over high heat. Toss to make sure they don't burn, but toast until fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to blender or spice grinder and process until ground. Set aside.

Photo Courtesy of Brad Lovejoy

In same skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, tomatillos, garlic and jalapenos and cook until slightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes, tossing a few times, but not stirring too much. Carefully place vegetables in blender or food processor. Add broth, cilantro, parsley, salt and epazote (if using) and process until pureed. Pour back into skillet and add ground pumpkin seed mixture. Let simmer until flavors are well combined, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve immediately. Leftovers can be refrigerated in airtight container for a few days.

This mole is pretty fantastic. The ratio of ingredients were well planned, creating a perfect balance of flavors. It was also fun to cook with tomatillos because I have only used them one time prior to tonight. I love their vibrant green color and that they come in papery husks. They look almost ornamental before they are husked. All ingredients were organic including jalapenos and parsley from my garden. Although the cookbook author recommends serving over enchiladas or with poultry and fish, I poured the mole over black beans in flour tortillas with light sour cream and avocado, to create wet burritos. They were tasty for sure. I honestly wouldn't change a thing about the recipe but I may try epazote next time. I had never heard of epazote but our friend Dulce is from Mexico and she told me that it is a delicious herb with a very distinct flavor. We are planning to make a trip to the local Latin market with Dulce so she can direct us to authentic ingredients for future Latin-inspired recipes.

Recipe Source:
"Quick & Easy Mexican Cooking" by Cecilia Hae-Jin Lee
Page 41

1 comment: