Fennel and Leeks

Fennel and Leeks

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Oven Roasted Beets with Goat Cheese and Balsamic Vinegar


Photo Courtesy of Brad Lovejoy

For tonight's recipe, I chose Oven Roasted Beets with Goat Cheese and Balsamic. My inspiration for the dish was the beautiful organic beets at PCC Market. I saw them and couldn't help myself. I bought two bunches and came home to google a roasted beet recipe. Good ol' folks at google. What would I do without them? I ended up coming across this recipe and I was instantly drawn in by the incorporation of goat cheese. I had some beautiful all-natural goat cheese remaining from a pasta dish I prepared a few weeks ago so it was the perfect choice.

I was not disappointed in the least. The beets were as sweet as they could be, the herbs infused beautifully to boost flavors and goat cheese is always a perfect partner to beets. The best part of the dish however, was a Fig Balsamic by Bistro Blends of Napa Valley that my dad and stepmom purchased for me at the Green Home Show in Eugene, Oregon. It is truly fantastic as salad dressing, with olive oil and bread or drizzled over vegetables. This recipe does not specify the type of balsamic so I went with one that I know and love. As a result, the dish was truly exceptional.

Ingredients:
6 beets
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 pinch of thyme
1 pinch of rosemary
2 small cloves garlic
salt and freshly ground pepper
goat cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wash dirt off beets. Skin will come off after beets are roasted so outsides do not need to be scrubbed. Trim both ends of beets. Place foil on cookie sheet or pan, then place beets on top of foil. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle thyme, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper over beets. Make sure beets are coated in olive oil and herbs. Add 1 cup of water before covering beets tightly with foil. You can cover with parchment paper and then foil if desired.

Roast in oven for 45 minutes or until beets are tender with fork. You may need to cook larger beets for longer. Beets will come out steamy and tender. Any cooking liquid can be saved and drizzled over finished plate. Once roasted beets are cool enough to touch, gently squeeze to break open skins and peel them off. Slice and add a few tablespoons of goat cheese. You can serve beets with drizzled balsamic vinegar on salad or with good bread.

Tip: For an extra delicious zip, reduce balsamic vinegar and drizzle on top of beets.

No comments:

Post a Comment