Fennel and Leeks

Fennel and Leeks

Friday, April 8, 2011

Shallot Fig Spread




I decided it was time to make something completely different than the dishes I have made thus far. I was trying to come up with an original idea when I came across this recipe for Shallot Fig Spread. I am going to jump right into the recipe because the ingredients are so pleasing. As a side note, I used all organic products.

Ingredients:
1 cup dried Turkish figs (about 12)
2 cups water
7 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
zest of 1 large orange
juice of 2 oranges
2 Tbsp maple syrup

Have you ever eaten Turkish figs? I know I have never used them in a recipe prior to this and I don't think I have ever eaten them. First of all, they are a gorgeous product. I couldn't help but take a photo of the halved figs and sliced shallots. I used an organic, sulphite free Turkish fig by a company called Lerida out of Oakland, California and I couldn't wait to taste them. Okay, back to the recipe:

Prepare figs by discarding tough stem ends and cutting into halves. Place in small pot over medium-high heat with 2 cups water and bring to boil. Simmer until liquid is reduced to 1/2 cup (about 20 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside, keeping figs in liquid.

Over medium heat, saute shallots in olive oil until very soft (about 15 minutes). Add ginger, orange zest and juice. Stir continuously and saute 5 minutes longer. Add figs, reduced liquid and maple syrup. Stir to combine and remove from heat. When cool enough to touch, transfer mixture to mixing bowl and gently puree with handheld blender or food processor until spread is blended but some figs and onions are still visible. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving. Makes 2 cups.

The recipe suggested using a rice cracker thin for serving or diluting the spread with orange juice or water to use as a savory marinade. I served the spread with Pecan Nut & Rice Crackers, which I thought worked quite well.

No comments:

Post a Comment