Fennel and Leeks

Fennel and Leeks

Monday, April 4, 2011

Baja Black Beans, Corn and Rice

What a fabulous weekend! Olivia's birthday was really special this year. All of our relatives including great grandparents were here to celebrate with us. My brother, Nick, flew in as a surprise on Saturday morning, which was the icing on the figurative cake. There was also great icing on the literal cake thanks to Metropolitan Market. We ended up not only celebrating Olivia, but our family in general. It was a much needed and long overdue time together. I am thankful for every minute we were able to spend with our most loved ones.

With this being said, we did not eat like we normally do this weekend. I told Brad this morning that I don't think I could even look at one more piece of pizza. You know you've had too much cake and pizza when you can no longer stand the thought of either one! Needless to say, when I woke up this morning, I knew I wanted to make brown rice, beans and vegetables for dinner. Nothing like a healthy, fiber filled meal to make you feel better after a weekend of eating junk. I ended up googling brown rice and black beans and found this simple and wholesome meal on evitamins.com. It was a winner all the way around. I highly recommend this dish when you need a quick, healthy dinner.

Ingredients:
6 cups brown rice
1/2 red onion, chopped
15 ounce can black beans
15 ounce can corn
4 tomatoes, chopped
2 Tbsp lime juice
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup cilantro
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 dashes hot sauce
1 jalapeno pepper seeded and diced

Cook brown rice. In medium bowl, combine black beans, corn, tomatoes, onion, cilantro, jalapeno (I left the jalapeno out because it would be too hot for Olivia), lime juice, oil, salt, pepper and hot sauce. To serve, place scoop of hot rice in bowl or on plate, top with generous scoop of black bean mixture and stir together. That's it! Couldn't be easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment