Fennel and Leeks

Fennel and Leeks

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Grapeseed Oil

I have been waiting to get on my soap box regarding grapeseed oil and this is my perfect opportunity. I was excited to see the Black Bean Soup recipe that I wrote about in my last entry call for grapeseed oil. This oil has become one of my favorite staples in the kitchen. The only salad dressing I use at home these days is grapeseed oil with a pinch of sea salt and fresh ground pepper. I am also crazy about Grapeseed Oil Veganaise, which is the perfect substitution for mayonnaise. It is made by a brand called Follow Your Heart and it is GMO, egg, dairy, preservative and cholesterol free. I am not a huge mayo fan but I'm telling you, this Veganaise is amazing! I can't get enough of it. The flavor has the perfect tanginess and the consistency is just right. Besides olive oil, these grapeseed products are used more than any other cooking staples in my kitchen. Check out the health benefits of grapeseed oil as well. I cut and pasted a few of them below:

Benefits of Grape Seed Oil

Many studies have been carried out to determine the benefits of using grape seed oil and today, it is used in controlling various health problems like
heart diseases, cancer and for regulating the level of blood sugar. Grape seeds contain antioxidants, which protect the body from a number of health problems caused by the free radicals. Besides, this oil is rich in vitamin E, flavonoids, vitamin C and beta-carotene.

Grape seed oil presumably lowers
cholesterol, especially the harmful LDL cholesterol. On the other hand, it has been found to increase HDL, a good cholesterol, which reduces risks of coronary diseases. Certain compounds found in grape seed oil are believed to improve vision, flexibility of joints and blood circulation. Many are of the opinion that it can also be effective in reducing the symptoms associated with allergies and asthma, as it suppresses the production of histamine (an amine released by the immune system during allergic reactions).

Grapeseed comes in various forms. If you can find a form that works for you, the health benefits are well worth it. Even better, if you can find an edible form that works for you, you can enjoy the wonderful flavor while reaping the health benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment