Fennel and Leeks

Fennel and Leeks

Sunday, August 2, 2015

Zesty Lime Shrimp and Avocado Salad


As I mentioned in my last entry, this recipe is part of the summer smorgasbord that I prepared for our friends when they came over for dinner last week. I couldn't decide on a specific cuisine so I went for whatever summery recipes struck my fancy. Olivia and I both love avocados, tomatoes, and shrimp so this recipe for Zesty Lime Shrimp and Avocado Salad was an immediate winner.

Ingredients:

1/4 cup chopped red onion
2 limes, juice of
1 tsp olive oil
1/4 tsp Kosher salt
fresh pepper to taste
1 lb jumbo peeled, cooked shrimp, chopped
1 medium tomato, chopped
1 medium avocado, chopped
1 small jalapeño, seeds removed, finely diced
1 Tbsp chopped cilantro

In a small bowl, combine red onion, lime juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Let this sit for at least 5 minutes to mellow the red onion.


In a large bowl, combine chopped shrimp, tomato, avocado, and jalapeño. Add liquid mixture and cilantro to large bowl and gently toss. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Serves 4.


Although this recipe required some rinsing and chopping, it was pretty easy to prepare. The only element that took a bit of time was preparing the shrimp. I always make sure I rinse them well and remove the tail properly so nobody gets a surprise when they take a bite.


My main recommendation is that the shrimp, avocado, and tomatoes are chopped to roughly the same size. The original recipe called for diced tomatoes and avocados but a true dice is smaller than a chop so the shrimp would have been much bigger. I went with a similar chop size for each of the three main ingredients and it worked out well.

I also served the jalapeños on the side so the kiddos could eat the dish. The rest of us added plenty of jalapeños to our portions so the zesty part of the recipe could live up to its name. This recipe was a success and is now on my list of dishes to prepare for summer dinners on the deck. Enjoy!

Recipe Source:
skinnytaste.com

No comments:

Post a Comment