Fennel and Leeks

Fennel and Leeks

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Pine Nut Parsley Quinoa

















My husband is a quinoa fan through and through. Because of this, I have many quinoa dishes in my arsenal, a few of which I have shared in prior posts. The following happens to be one of my mother-in-law's go-to dishes to serve as a side. I have eaten it before but this is my maiden voyage preparing the recipe at home. I think this dish is tasty but I personally only like to eat it served cold. There is something about the crunchy texture of quinoa that appeals to me in conjunction with a cool temperature. To the contrary, Brad prefers it warm so he always dishes up a big bowl and heats it in the microwave. A double batch only lasts two days once Brad is alerted to its existence so if Olivia and I want any, we have to get on it right away!

Ingredients:
2 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup pine nuts
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 large onion, chopped
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley (any type of parsley will work but my mother-in-law prefers flat leaf)
salt and pepper to taste
organic no salt seasoning (optional)


Toast pine nuts in large dry skillet over medium-high heat until golden brown and fragrant. Stir frequently; pine nuts burn easily. Remove nuts from pan and set aside.



Heat oil in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions soften and begin to brown.

Put broth and quinoa in medium sized saucepan and bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until liquid is absorbed and grain is tender. When quinoa is done, add pine nuts, onion and parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm. If there are leftovers, serve cold.

I need to further explore the wide world of warm quinoa recipes because this was delicious and so easy to make! The only ingredients that required chopping were the parsley and onions, which took all of 5 minutes. The pine nuts toasted up quickly (they took only 7 minutes) and the onions browned easily.  From a preparation standpoint, this recipe is a no brainer.

From a health standpoint, this recipe is even better. The dish calls for one tablespoon of olive oil for the entire batch of quinoa. The only other fat found in this recipe is from the pine nuts; which add a lovely and rich texture to the dish. I know I have gone here before, but I just can't help but mention the nutritional benefits of quinoa. It is considered to be a complete protein and is high in fiber, phosphorus, magnesium, calcium and iron. Quinoa is also gluten-free and easy to digest. It is a true dietary gem.

I really can't think of one element of this dish that I don't like. The flavor, texture and nutritional value are so extraordinary that this is now officially one of my go-to side dishes. It's always smart to keep fabulous recipes in the family. :)

As a side note, I was really excited today because I harvested my first lettuce from the garden. I couldn't resist including a photo of my bounty below. Isn't it lovely?















Recipe Source:
Sharon Lovejoy (my mother-in-law)

1 comment:

  1. We too are becoming big quinoa fans. The other day I was making some rice and discovered that we only had 1/2 cup left so I added 1/2 half cup quinoa, put it in the rice cooker and really enjoyed the combination. I even fried up the left overs and had a nice crispy snack when I got home from work.

    ReplyDelete