Fennel and Leeks

Fennel and Leeks

Monday, July 30, 2012

Fancy Brandied Cherries



Photos Courtesy of Brad Lovejoy

This recipe is quite a departure for me because I have never tasted brandy, let alone cooked
with it.Of course, there is nothing more exciting than a new idea for my cooking adventure so
when I came upon this recipe, I was immediately intrigued. My only experience with
liquor-infused fruit is the Fresh Fruit Infused Vodka Kamikazes offered in the Lava Lounge
at a restaurant called Ring of Fire in my hometown of Eugene, Oregon. The bartenders
change the Fruit Infused Kamikaze options weekly so I have tried many variations including
kiwi and strawberry, blackberry, black currant, watermelon and pineapple. From what
I understand, in order for the vodka to effectively soak into the fruit and for the fruit flavors
to infuse the vodka, the fruit needs to be tender and the soaking period needs to be at least
24 hours. Lava Lounge houses their Kamikazes in large clear jars with the fruit at the bottom
for all to see. They serve each Kamikaze with chunks of fruit so the vodka flavor is
definitely present. With all of this in mind, I began preparing the following recipe for Fancy
Brandied Cherries. 

Ingredients:
2 lbs sweet, blemish-free, cherries, washed (I used Washington grown Van Cherries from
Martin Family Orchards)
4 cups high-quality brandy (I chose Hennessy Cognac) 
3/4 cup raw sugar
1 Tbsp almond extract (or use half vanilla and half almond for a twist)

Combine sugar and brandy in medium saucepan over low heat. Cook just until sugar is
dissolved, stirring constantly. Mixture will be only slightly lukewarm, don't overheat; you
want to retain alcohol content of brandy. Cool and stir in almond extract.

Wash two one-quart canning jars. Carefully place washed cherries, one by one, into jars
and cover completely with brandy. If cherries are not completely covered, they will spoil.
Carefully agitate jars to settle fruit. Put lid on each jar and refrigerate. Cherries will keep
in refrigerator for up to one year.



Okay, when I say these cherries pack a punch, I am not kidding around. There is no doubt
that they are delicious and fun, but they are not for the faint of palate. Here are a few things
to keep in mind. First of all, cherries are high on the Environmental Working Group's
"Pesticides in Produce" list so it is important to consume them in their organic form. I
purchased mine from an organic grower at the West Seattle Farmer's Market. Second, the
pits are left in to impart a delicate, nutty flavor to the brandied cherries so make sure to
warn others to bite into the cherries carefully.

Finally, if you are wondering what you can do with Brandied Cherries other than eat them
straight from the jar, they can be used in cocktails, dipped in chocolate, or used in sundaes,
yogurt, cake and brownies. Brad and I decided that out of these options, we would dip
them in chocolate or use them to top ice cream in order to cut the alcohol flavor with
sweetness.

Recipe Source:
"Mary Jane's Farm; The Everyday Organic Lifestlye Magazine"
Volume 11, #4, June-July 2012, Pages 48-49

2 comments:

  1. i'm thinking this is a perfect thing to make this summer, stockpile, then take back home to Michigan when we go visit the family in November for opening day of deer season/Thanksgiving! :) Have you done other fruits? I'm wondering how softer fruits would last in liquid - raspberries?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I highly recommend this recipe for fall. It warms your right up for sure. I am thinking you would need to use firm fruit for this recipe to work well. It seems that raspberries and other berries would fall apart . Let me know if you try other fruits. Our cherries are almost gone so I could use a new idea. :)

    ReplyDelete