Fennel and Leeks

Fennel and Leeks

Monday, May 30, 2011

Risotto with Taleggio Cheese and Bacon



I was going through magazines from 2010 this morning to see if there were particular reasons I kept random issues of Sunset and Martha Stewart Living. I was quickly reminded that the October 2010 issue of Sunset had so many recipes I was interested in cooking that I was tearing out about every fifth page. This Risotto with Taleggio Cheese and Bacon recipe is the first of many from the October issue of Sunset Magazine that will land on our dinner table. Now that I am over my risotto skepticism, it has opened a whole new world and thank goodness it has, because this particular dish is quite spectacular. I would eat it every day and twice on Tuesday if given the opportunity.

I know I sound like a broken record, but bacon really does make everything taste better. Also, I had never eaten Taleggio cheese and it was wonderful. The consistency reminded me of brie but I actually preferred the flavor to brie. It melted beautifully and added a rich creaminess to an already creamy dish. Please try this recipe if you like rice and/or risotto. I promise you will not be disappointed. Be warned that it is easy for two people to finish the risotto even though the recipe says it serves four. :) Oh, and I forgot to mention that the beautiful chives were from my garden.

Ingredients:
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 medium onion, chopped
4 slices (6 oz.) thick slice bacon
1 cup Arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth, warmed (I used chicken broth since we don't eat beef)
1/2 cup Taleggio cheese
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp each kosher salt and pepper
2 Tbsp chopped chives

Warm oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and bacon and cook, stirring often, until starting to brown. Add rice to pan and stir to coat in oil. Pour in wine and cook until evaporated, about 3 minutes. Mix 2 cups hot water into broth and stir into rice in 1/2-cup increments (let each absorb before adding next). Stir, adding more hot water if needed, until rice is tender, 15 to 20 minutes.

Remove from heat and quickly stir in cheeses, salt and pepper. Top with sprinkle of chives. Serves 4.

Viva il risotto!

1 comment:

  1. Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to mention that
    I have truly loved browsing your weblog posts. After all I will be subscribing on your feed and I'm hoping you write again soon!

    Stop by my web site: how to make your dick bigger

    ReplyDelete