Fennel and Leeks

Fennel and Leeks

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Turmeric Tomato Detox Soup


Tomato soup has long been one of my favorite foods but in recent years, it has become more difficult to eat on a consistent basis. I require a low-fat dairy or non-dairy version for allergy reasons so I find that ordering tomato soup at restaurants is nearly impossible. As a result, I find myself often longing for a hot bowl of tomato soup. I am working on finding a few recipes to prepare at home that meet my dietary needs.

This particular recipe jumped out at me because it includes turmeric and apple cider vinegar. Not only do both of these ingredients appeal to my taste buds, they offer vast health benefits. Turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties as well as aiding in liver detox. Apple cider vinegar lowers blood sugar levels and cholesterol, contains antioxidants that help fight disease, and helps with acid reflux and digestion. In addition, the health benefits from coconut oil deserve mention. Coconut oil contains lauric acid which helps increase good cholesterol and lowers blood pressure. Lauric acid also aids in fighting bacterial and viral infections. The health benefits of this recipe are clear so I was hoping that the soup would be tasty.

Ingredients:

5 oz cherry tomatoes, rinsed and halved
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 small onion, finely diced
1/2 cup vegetable stock, low sodium
1 can diced tomatoes with sauce
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp dried basil
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp coconut oil
mixed seeds and nuts for garnish

Heat coconut oil in sauce pan and fry onion and garlic for one minute. Add turmeric and cherry tomatoes, and cook until tomatoes soften and leave their juices. Add canned tomatoes, vegetable stock, apple cider vinegar and basil. Bring to boil, cover with lid and let simmer for five minutes.


Transfer into a blender and pulse to obtain a creamy liquid.


Season with salt and pepper. Serve garnished with mixed seeds and nuts.

After preparing the recipe and testing the result, I proceeded to wolf down two bowls within about 15 minutes. I love this soup! I will say that this does not resemble what we recognize as classic tomato soup. The apple cider vinegar flavor is quite prominent so in order to enjoy this recipe, you might need to be a person that appreciates vinegar. I was curious how I would react to the combination of turmeric and apple cider vinegar because they are both such strong flavors, but the combination was quite delicious. The kicker is that the texture of the soup was nearly perfect. I prefer tomato soup that is not perfectly smooth and this one fit the bill. The addition of seeds on top made the texture even better. I chose to use sunflower seeds because I love them on everything but I could envision using pepitas or toasted almonds as well.

I recommend using Bragg Raw Organic Apple Cider Vinegar. Not only is it organic, it is also Non GMO, kosher and the flavor is pure.

Recipe Source: detoxdiy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment