Fennel and Leeks

Fennel and Leeks

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Baked Butternut Squash


Photo Courtesy of Brad Lovejoy

If I had to name one ingredient that best evokes fall, I would choose squash. I happen to have thoroughly enjoyed every variety of squash I have eaten. This list includes Acorn, Butternut, Pumpkin, Spaghetti, Green Zucchini, Yellow Zucchini, Crookneck, Pattypan, Italian, Banana and Kabocha. I purchased two Butternut Squash at the pumpkin patch last month and in the spirit of next week's holiday, I decided it was time to turn the squash into something delicious.

Before I came across this Baked Butternut Squash recipe, I learned a few interesting side notes about squash. First, there are two classifications of squash; summer and winter. The terms "summer" and "winter" can be confusing. Summer types are grown in the summer but on the market all year. They are thin-skinned. Winter types are grown winter through spring and are available late summer and fall, into winter. They are thick-skinned. Second, squash leaves and shoots are edible and they are particularly good in soups and omelets. How fabulous is that? Makes me want to run out and buy a squash that still has the leaves and shoots attached just to try it out. For now, I will continue with the recipe at hand.

Ingredients:
1 large butternut squash, pared and cut into 1 inch cubes (remove seeds and fibers)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg (I used freshly grated nutmeg)
1/3 cup brown sugar (I ended up using 1/2 cup)
1/3 cup melted butter
2 tsp lemon juice (fresh is recommended)

Place squash cubes in 2-quart casserole or baking dish. Sprinkle with spices and brown sugar. Drizzle with melted butter and lemon juice. Bake uncovered in 375 degree oven for 45 minutes or until tender. Makes 4 servings.

Photo Courtesy of Brad Lovejoy

This recipe is most likely the easiest recipe I have prepared thus far. The only aspect of preparation I would change is to purchase the butternut squash in cubed form instead of cubing it myself. I have never cut into a butternut squash and I have to admit, I found it more difficult than anticipated. In hindsight, I should have started off with a hacksaw instead of my Henckels Santoku knife. :) Even with this slight curveball, preparation was simple and pleasant. The flavors however, were anything but simple. The fresh quality of the squash married well with the richness of the butter, sweetness of the brown sugar and savor quality of the nutmeg and cinnamon. The squash not only tasted good, it smelled heavenly as it baked in the oven.

Recipe Source
cooks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment